Friday, August 19, 2005

On a Lighter Note...

There was an article in the Detroit Free Press (online) a few weeks ago about the Pistons considering a trade with Minnesota to acquire Keven Garnett. The article said the Twolves wanted Rasheed and Ben Wallace for KG. Wow, I am so glad that Joe Dumars (Pistons President) did not pull the trigger on that rediculous trade. There's no doubt in my mind that KG would be SWEET to have in Detroit, but you can't give up Big Ben! He's the heart of the team, a very tough defender, and one of the best rebounders. Its incredibly hard to find such a hard working, unselfish player. When you get one as amazing as Ben Wallace you gotta hold on to him!

Don't get me wrong, I love Sheed too. He brought some attitude that the Pistons lacked, and I think at times, he's one of the most unstoppable players in the NBA. I would be sad to see him go, but you gotta hold on to Ben because he brings the defense and rebounding. KG would bring more consistent scoring than Sheed, and much fewer technical fouls. When the Pistons face the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference Finals, they would be much better off guarding the likes of Shaq with Big Ben and KG down low.

Additionally, the Freep claimed the Pistons are considering a move to get a free agent - either Jalen Rose or Michael Finley. I'm all about Michael Finley here unless he wants a rediculous salary. I think he's a more selfless player than Jalen Rose and will fit in better with the Pistons. The Miami Heat are also trying to get him. It would not be a good thing for Detroit if Michael Finley is in Miami next season.

Wow, imagine a starting five of Chauncy Billups, RIP Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Kevin Garnett, and Ben Wallace with Michael Finley and Antonio McDyess coming off the bench? I also suspect that Carlos Delfino will be much better next season if he sticks around. Alan Houston has been mentioned as a possible free agent acquisition for the Pistons.

Then there's Lindsey Hunter. Lindsey Hunter impressed me this year with his defense. I think he is one of the more underrated defenders in basketball.

Since I brought up Shaq, does anyone else agree that Shaq is the worst skilled MVP in the history of basketball? While I consider him the most dominant player in the NBA, I don't think he is a good basketball player at all. He has no skill! All he has is size. If any one of my eighth grade basketball players were his size they would be 100 times better than he is. All of my kids can shoot free throws significantly better than Shaq. They play team ball better than Shaq. They defend way better than Shaq (move their feet, cover their guys, play hard), they are in much better shape than Shaq, and they have much smaller egos than Shaq. If Shaq would actually work hard at his game I'd respect him. He has so much potential and just throws it away because he doesn't have to work hard to dominate. How sad is that? I'll take Ben Wallace over Shaq any day. I'd rather watch a hard working over-achiever over a huge, lazy underachiever anyday. When I watch Shaq play basketball it bores me. He looks bored when he plays. I've never seen him play with passion. When was the last time Shaq dove for a loose ball or out-hustled someone? When was the last time he ran all out to get back on defense without needing oxygen?

Would I take Shaq on the Pistons if I was the President of the Pistons? Heck no! It was so much better watching "Superman" get knocked down to size a year ago than it would be to cruise through the playoffs on Shaq's back. While he is a superstar, I absolutely do not believe he is even close to being on the same level as the superstars that worked so hard to made the NBA what it is today - Dr. J, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Isaiah Thomas, and Michael Jordan.

No comments: