Friday, July 22, 2005

Scattered thoughts...

My dog has a small cut on her ear that is infected. The antibiotic ointment the vet gave isn't really working and I don't have enough money to take her back to the vet anytime soon.

Had lunch with a friend today at Qdoba. He is hilarious. Great guy. His mom makes this amazing mint tea and she sent a gallon of it with him to give me. Great stuff! He is saving up to spend half the year in Belfast, Northern Ireland, doing missionary work. Look out Belfast!

Played a bit of counterstrike today. In counter strike, you have a "game name." Mine is El Gato. I had a great time playing with Rage, Liquid, Lycan, and Bill Murray today. We laugh and joke around a lot while we play. If you read this and are a 1.6 counterstrike player, feel free to leave a comment and I'll give you our server ip. We need more regulars on our server.

I need to get in shape. I am turning into a slob. I did an upper body workout today and died because of the tendinitis in my elbows and because of my lack of fitness. Too bad! Gotta get in shape!

The Pistons hired Flip Saunders to replace Larry Brown. I have mixed thoughts about this. On the one hand, I trust Joe Dumars (Pistons General Manager). He has made all the right decisions thus far. On the other hand, I don't really think Flip Saunders, being a "players coach" is what the Pistons need. He is not known for coaching great defense. Other than Phil Jackson, I can't really think of any "players coaches" who coached their team to the Championship. I'll give him a chance. I hope the Piston players do, too.

Whether or not Larry Brown is as slimey as the press makes him out to be, I wish the Pistons owner would have some class and not bad-mouth him to the press.

I am looking forward to going to Confession tomorrow. When I found out that Pope John Paul II went to confession once a week, I decided that I would go once a week too. I am a brand new Catholic, so Confession is new to me. What a gift! I never really examined my conscience on a regular basis as a Protestant. I've noticed there is so much more grace to resist temptations and to be more Christ-like because of Confession. Every week I go to Church on Saturday afternoon, ask the Holy Spirit to reveal my sins, review my week, and the Holy Spirit never fails to bring to mind ways in which I have offended God. I never really cared to know before. I don't get beat up with guilt that one may expect. I experience real sorrow for my sins and joyful hope because Jesus never fails me. I love going to Confession.

My mom is an amazing woman. I don't know how she stays as positive as she does, considering her health issues. I really want to make her feel special on her birthday on Sunday but I don't know what to do, given that she is sick and can't do much. I'll pray that God will inspire some great ideas.

I want to see some really good movies but they don't make very many really good movies. Most movies today are all visually and technologically very impressive, but because all the money is going into special effects, the actual writing is generally horrible. It saddens me that one of the best written movies I've ever seen - Pulp Fiction - is morally bankrupt. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie but I'd pay twice as much to see movies with the same quality of writing, but with admirable characters who choose to do the right thing, even at a tremendous cost to their careers, relationships, and lives. If anyone has any suggestions for uplifting, inspiring, thought-provoking (positive, wholesome thoughts please) movies, please suggest!

I thoroughly enjoyed Batman Begins, and I was very surprised that I liked it. The previous Batman movies were crap! I'd even say that Batman Begins is one of my top 20 favorite movies.
I can't really give it a review since I saw it only once, and awhile ago, but it was great.

I recently saw The Incredibles. That was a very fun movie. Laughed so much. Good story, great characters, good writing.

Enough said.... good night!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Newville.
I was really bored so I checked out your blog. Very nice. You're thinking about the priesthood? That's awesome. I was wondering if you were. You'd be awesome as a priest (not that you're not awesome now- you know what I mean)
Alright, ttyl

Don said...

i loved 'batman begins'... the best comic-book movie i've seen in a long time. also loved 'war of the worlds'

i used to play counterstrike, but now that i have an apple instead of a PC, well... it's not an option. darn.

Anonymous said...

hey hey what's going on? i was bored....yeah and i was all like ooo blog! i really wanted to see batman begins but i never had a chance....oh poo. i like batman he's awesome i mean regular guy that is really strong and really rich, i mean talk about sweet. anyway see you later!
Sarah Do

amy said...

have you considered writing a post about how you became catholic - i would be interested to read that! also i just finished a book by thomas merton called the seven storey mountain....at the end of the book he talks a lot about his struggle with discerning his call/vocation to the priesthood and it made me think of your profile and how you said you were thinking of becoming a priest - if you haven't read it already you should check it out!

Anonymous said...

I play counter-strike.
Counter-strike is fun.
G4to is a nice guy.
Nice people are nice.
Playing counter-strike with G4to is fun.
G4to makes counter-strike fun.
G4to is fun.
I <3 G4to.