Tuesday, July 19, 2005

First Post

I don't really know what to say for the first post. I suppose it doesn't have to be anything special. I couldn't sleep last night. I was up until about 6 in the morning. Part of it was that I had heart burn. Part of it was that I couldn't stop thinking about life and how easy it is to make the least of it.

I'm looking forward to playing disc golf in the morning with a few of my former students. It should be fun.

I really wish there were good summer sports to watch on TV. I'm missing football and basketball. Baseball is fun to play but I really don't get into watching it.

I got in a car accident last week. Traffic stopped ahead of me, so I stopped too, but the woman behind me did not stop, and drove her car, without even slowing down, straight into the back of my car. This pushed my car into the car in front of me. It was the most violent impact I have ever felt. It was actually frighteningly violent and quite painful. My neck hurts pretty badly. My car was not fully paid for, so the insurance will mostly go to the bank. I really hope I can afford a new car. God always provides what I need so I am trying not to get anxious about this.

Camp was great again this year. I think I'll post a separate post about camp, just so I can have it on record.



"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble (Psalm 46:1)."

I can tell dozens of true stories about God being ever-present in my life as a refuge and as my strength. I can also tell many stories about me failing to recognize God as ever-present in my life. When we take our eyes, our hearts, our minds, off of God and focus on the sin, temptations, and events in our lives, its very easy to forget that God is with us. Sometimes we even get off track by focusing on seemingly good things, like trying to live holy lives. We can concentrate so hard on trying to make ourselves better by ridding our lives of certain sins or weaknesses. Pretty soon we are far from God, and trying to improve ourselves on our own, apart from the One who has the power to change us.

But if we keep our eyes fixed on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, we won't miss Him. We can see Him in the midst of our weaknesses, our sufferings, our struggles, our greatest victories, our joyous moments in life, and everywhere we go, and in everyone we know. Knowing He is there for us, knowing that He loves us so much, we can run into his open arms to find refuge and strength. I pray that in my weaknesses, I will run into His arms. I pray that in my victories I will remain in His arms. Thanks be to God!

No comments: