Saturday, August 19, 2006

Comcast is Horrible and Should Cease to Exist

I have had nothing but trouble with my Comcast cable service for months and months and months and months and months. I can't exactly recall the exact start of my problems but I'm guessing around October of 2005 I started to have problems with my cable reception. The picture would distort and the sound would break. Sometimes the TV was unwatchable for hours at a time. This was most frustrating when I wanted to watch my football games. I called Comcast and they sent a technician who fidgeted with the wires and claimed it was all fixed. Shortly after he left the problem returned. This went on for months and months.

Maybe it's just me but if I ran a business and I had a customer who was as repeatedly unhappy with my service as this I would make sure the problem is resolved. But Comcast has a monopoly on cable service and could not care any less about its customers because Comcast is our only choice. Little do they know, as soon as I move, I am going to get satellite TV and be done with Comcast for good. A friend of mine had Direct TV and it worked wonderfully.

After months of getting the usual run-around I called the Ann Arbor Cable Commission and finally got my cable fixed in July. October to July of terrible on and off cable service and they only gave me one month's credit. I searched and found absolutely no phone numbers one can call to voice a complaint with someone who is held accountable for pleasing the customers. I searched for an email address to send in complaints to the corporate office. It wasn't possible. I repeatedly asked to speak to a supervisor. Once I was left on hold for over a half hour when I asked to speak to a supervisor. Many other times I was told that there was no supervisor. Imagine that, a huge company like Comcast and not a single person who is in charge! So not only did they give me the run-around, but they lied repeatedly to me. When I finally got a "supervisor" I was told that they would dispatch a "senior technician" to look into my problem. The "senior technician" never showed up on the day he was supposed to come. He came several days later after I once again called the Ann Arbor Cable Commission (which, by the way, is just as inept at giving customers any idea that our complaints are being handled). Finally the problem was fixed.

Zoom ahead to three days ago... I was channel surfing and got a message that said "One Moment Please: This channel should be available shortly." Ten minutes later the message was still up so I decided to just go to sleep. I got up the next day and turned on the TV to see the news and behold, the same message appeared. I called Comcast and got a recording stating that it would work much faster if I just let them send a signal to my box if I press 1 on my phone and that if that didn't fix the problem I should unplug the cable and plug it back in after 30 seconds. I pressed 1 on my phone and nothing happened. Ten minutes later I unplugged my cable, waited 30 seconds, plugged it back in and I finally got my picture back. Several minutes later I lost my picture. I went through this entire procedure again, and again, and again, and again, and again. I have unplugged my cable and then plugged it back in over a dozen times in the past hour. The only reason I'm doing this (rather than giving up and finding something else to do) is to show my readers how much of a joke Comcast is.

I'm not looking forward to dealing with Comcast again. If I had some money I would look into my legal options but I have no money for that and am at the mercy of a seemingly unethical company that does not care about its customers.

So I called Comcast...again, and was told that they sent a signal to my cable and got a response back from it and that they don't see a problem with my cable! LOL!! I had to explain that regardless of the information my cable box sent back to them, I have no picture. They had a hard time understanding that it is a problem when their customer does not have a picture. I was finally able to talk them into letting me bring my cable box in to exchange it for another. I'm guessing this will not fix the problem but as you can see, I am documenting this entire fiasco, and doing it so that my readers can see that Comcast is horrible and should cease to exist.

No comments: