Monday, January 30, 2006

A Proud Coach Asks More of His Team

I coach an 8th grade boys' basketball team. I'm not a great coach by any means but my boys are a great team. They work so hard without complaining. I have tremendous respect for them. I can't help respecting them because they are incredibly hard workers. They are also very talented. When I think of talented teams I think of the Lakers with Kobe and Shaq, Karl Malone and Gary Payton - extremely talented but not hard workers, and not a team. The Pistons, without an all-star, with hard work, beat that Lakers team in the NBA finals two years ago. But my team has talent and hard work, and they play as a team.

Today one of my reserve players who generally doesn't get a lot of playing time made an incredible shot at the end of the game. One of my best players ran out and made a big deal about the incredible shot. I'm so proud of how they work as a team, how they work to overcome challenges, and how classy they've been. They are also a ton of fun to hang out with. I'm an old fart who is somewhat demanding in basketball practices, yet they seem to enjoy having me talk to them and joke around with them.

There is something inspiring about watching people work very hard at something. I'm so glad they've embraced the ideal of hard work without complaining and without quitting. These guys are going to go somewhere in life. Watch out!

Having said all that, there is one thing which is far more important than any of this. When they stand before God to give an account of their lives, to whom will their hearts belong? I'm truly happy to have such a great basketball season and to be able to be a part of their lives. But what I really want is for each of them to know how much God really loves them, and to respond to that love by loving God with all their hearts. Basketball is a great sport and hard work is such a great part of human character, but none of that matters if their hearts do not belong to God. Nothing really matters unless our hearts belong to God.

You may be the most successful person in whatever field you are in but it does not matter one bit unless your life is in God's hands. Apart from God, anything we commit our lives to is meaningless and a big waste of time. Apart from God, there is no point in anything. Apart from God, winning basketball games take on much greater importance because it gives us something to focus on instead of the emptiness of meaningless existence.

To my boys who take the time to read this: you guys are awesome not because you're so sweet at basketball, but because of who you are - sons of God. You're also awesome because you are truly wonderful human beings that I care for and enjoy very much. Choose Jesus and get to know him as much as you've worked at getting to know basketball this season. When you get knocked over by sin and by your weaknesses and your flaws, get back up and live your lives with purpose; as sons of God.

P on 3!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

plus, they won every single game! lol ur a great coach...a good gym teacher...AND A GOOD BALLET DANCER!!!!! YEA!

i guess you can post a message on here....even if you dont have blogger....

okok i gotta go! cya 2-morrow! BUNNY!

Anonymous said...

how is it that when i am looking for God to answer my questions, I stumble upon this? God is great! and so are you!

*KMA*

Anonymous said...

being on that team was one of the best things i did. i was almost manager, but Mr N dared me to be on the team. when i was doing ok (for me) and mr n dared me to go even higher. thanks for that season.